George Washington's tent, 1776
During the Revolutionary War, General Washington and his staff used this tent, one of three made for Washington in 1776 by the Philadelphia upholsterer Plunkett Fleeson, for visitor receptions, meetings, and dining. In the early 1800s Washington's adopted grandson, George Washington Parke Custis, hosted dinner parties in it on the lawn of his Virginia estate, Arlington House. In 1844 Custis presented Washington's tent to the U.S. government, and it was displayed at the Patent Office museum for many years. It eventually came to the Smithsonian and has been exhibited at the National Museum of American History since 1964.
Military History, Presidential Memorabilia, Revolutionary War